Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bird in a Bottle

Last weekend at Hasty Brook wasn't all about the fire. It was also one of the birdiest weekends I've ever spent up there. I'll be stretching it out over a few posts because there was such good birding. One of the first birds I heard was the Veery. A friend recently said the Veery sounds like "a bird in a bottle." That's such a perfect description. Have a listen here. Veeries sing up at Hasty all day and well into the evening. I remember the first time I hear a Veery up there a few years ago. I had never heard such a sound in my life and honestly wasn't even sure it was coming from a bird. That first summer I couldn't even get a look at one to identify what I was hearing. That was when I decided to buy a birdJam (hi Jay!). I spent quite a few hours scrolling through the birdsongs trying to find that magical song. Finally, I found it. I identified the Veery by its song! The next spring, armed with my field guide and knowing finally what a Veery looked like, I caught a glimpse of the Veery. For the next few years I looked forward to hearing its lovely song and I saw them a few times but could never catch a photo.

Last Saturday hearing Veeries all around me I pulled out my birdJam to call one in.
In he came! That Veery flew in and I don't think he left my side the whole weekend.

Sitting on the hill watching warblers, there was the Veery.


Down by the creek, watching the water go by, there was the Veery.

Sitting watching the sunset, listening the the Common Loons fly over to the little lake, there was the Veery.
I walked along the creek looking for wildflowers and there the Veery popped up watching me.

Saturday evening after the fire, and after we washed up and had our dinner Art and I found a spot to sit and relax, a spot where we couldn't see the blackened grass and brush and trees.
The air was soft and the light was golden. The Veery flew in and sat in the spruce just a few feet away. And he sang.
I like to think he was singing of spring and new life.

31 comments:

RuthieJ said...

Lynne + Veery = BFF
Great post and pictures Lynne!

Shelley said...

Lynne - you made a new friend - aww!! I love that he hung around and you were able to get great photos of him!!

Linda in Erie said...

I don't think I've ever seen one. Those are great photos and it does look like he is your pet bird. I could use one of those birdJam things. I have audio of a bird that I can't id that came down the hill at dusk every night at the B&B we stayed at in NC. I just can't figure it out. I'll post it soon. It takes a long time going through all the birds on the cornell site.

Beth said...

Wow - he is really cute. I think he adopted you....

Beth

Jayne said...

Sweeeeet! Lynne's Verry friend is nothing if not reliable! :c) Wonderful photos too BTW!

Tina said...

oh oh Lynne, he had imprinted on you and now you are his newest best friend!! lol..how neat to have him follow you around and your pictures of him are really nice..and you caught him in so many different poses!! So glad you had such a nice experience with the veery to help soften the beginning of your stay!
I listened to his sound..pretty cool! I couldn't get the birdjam link to work but it prob is my system!!

KGMom said...

Love those little bright eyes.

Eve said...

Very nice Lynne. I've got to look into that Bird Jam thing.

troutbirder said...

He is a cute little rascal! Am so glad you all got thru the fire without serious damage and a lesson learned. It could have been me,as several weeks ago I started a brush burn and was totally unaware that there was a county wide burning ban,till the neighbors showed up.

Montanagirl said...

Very cute little bird! I went and listened to his song. Very sweet. You see so many neat birds that I've never seen. Lynn, a couple nights ago I received a call, and ran over to the town elevator (long abandoned), and there were 14 Turkey Vulture just circling and sailing around it (it's about 9pm), and driving the pigeons that live there completely crazy. The Turkey Vultures meant no harm, and were just enjoying the fuss they were creating. I'll post photos, so watch for them on my blog in the next few days. (Oh, and the moon was out - very dramatic.

Owlman said...

Veery's are tough to see never mind getting a decent picture. Your photos are amazingly sharp!

NCmountainwoman said...

Beautiful photographs of this lovely bird. I think he loves you!

Carolyn H said...

Lynne: Superb photos of the veery! I've never gotten even one and there you are with so many of them. Congratulations!

Carolyn H.

Mary said...

Your Veery is very sweet, Linne. Wonderful photos, too!

May

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

WOw!What a treat to have a lovely singer like that seranade you all weekend.
Blessings,Ruth

NatureWoman said...

This is so awesome, Lynne! Congratulations on capturing so many photos of this previously aloof bird!

jalynn01 said...

What nice pictures of the Veery.It's so nice to have a bird follow you around and you to get pictures of it in different settings. I'm glad you had a nice birding day!! After the fire you needed that!

dmmgmfm said...

I love the Veery pictures...thanks for sharing, and sorry about the fire, I'm glad it wasn't any worse!

Ruth said...

I got Birdjam in May and am still trying to find the most responsible way to use it. I have used it to call birds in the field a couple of times, but feel guilty about it. The Veery pictures are so beautiful and its song is my favourite.

Susan Gets Native said...

Ah, the Power that is the BirdJam. (Hi, Jay!)

You turned him on, Lynne. He was looking for some hot birdie ACK-SHUN.

Heidi said...

You and BirdJam made that little Veery fall in love with you! How fun to have such sweetly singing company all weekend :)

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Yes.
That was exactly his song.

Anonymous said...

Great shots. So cool when birds just kind of stick around as if they enjoy your company.

Marsha said...

I think the veery knew a good friend when he found one and yes, I think he was singing to you of spring and regeneration!

Anonymous said...

I guess I have not knowingly seen a Veery before today. They seem a lot like some of the thrushes I have seen. Nice photography.

Voices from the past > http://bing-it.blogspot.com/

FAB said...

Hi Lynne. Veery is a new one for me. You have another 'friend' for life I think and a definite sign that nature is on your side for a positive future at Hasty. Lol FAB.

Q said...

Dear Lynne,
What a sweet bird. I love that he sang at the end of your long and tiring day.
Wonderful photogrpahs.
Sherry

BirdBoy said...

Your totally right about their call!
Great pictures

Dawn Fine said...

Lynne,
Great photos of the Veery..I find their song magical...
dont forget to look for morels next spring in your burned area...

Kathie Brown said...

Lynne, I hope he sings to me when I go to CT in 2 weeks! What a sound! What wonderful pictures! How fortunate you are to have one living on your land! That would be a lifer for me!

TR Ryan said...

Seems like love at first sight! Great photos!