Wednesday, May 06, 2009

New Friends at New River



Sorry it's taken me so long to get a blog post written about my week in West Virginia. I'm having a hard time gathering and processing my thoughts. The New River Birding and Nature Festival was amazing on so many levels. The birding was fabulous- twenty-eight lifers for me! Our Farmhouse at Opossum Creek Retreat was as comfy as could be and rocked with laughter. The hospitality shown us was warm and kind- like family.

My head is spinning with the stories and memories and as glad as I am to be back home, I'm feeling quite sad and adrift. I met Susan, Laura, Katdoc and Beth last October in Cape May but the rest of this group were new meetings. I've always believed that we reveal enough about ourselves through our blogs to let readers know a bit of our character so I had ideas of what these bloggers would be like. Every last one of them are delightful, sharing and loving. I have never laughed so long and so hard. I was constantly wiping tears from my eyes- mostly from laughter but often from the emotions of the moment.

I spent a week in a most beautiful part of our country that I'd never seen before with guides that cared deeply about the area and about sharing their knowledge and talents. It was obvious that they loved showing us both life birds and common birds. I spent a week with people who loved birds as much as I do. I fit in. I formed new friendships and deepened old ones. I miss the "Flock." I still have several hundred photos to sort through and edit and of course there's work around the house to catch up on. I don't want to hurry through my pictures and memories though. I'm holding them all close.

This is most of the Flock:

Beth from My Life With Birds

Tim from From the Faraway, Nearby

Nina from Nature Remains

Jane from Jalynn's Window on Nature

Barb from My Bird Tales

Kathie from Sycamore Canyon

Me!

Laura from Somewhere in NJ

Bill from Bill of the Birds

Kathi from Katdoc's World

Mary from Mary's View

Jane from Wrenaissance Reflections

Kathy from Life, Birding Photos and Everything

Susan from Susan Gets Native

not pictured:

Kathleen from A Glorious Life

Julie Zickefoose

Jeff Gordon

Jim McCormac

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope I didn't miss anyone on the list, but I miss you all.

22 comments:

Beth said...

Lynn: I, too, find myself missing everyone and feeling a little sad as I return to life in PA. I loved the trip and I loved being with all my friends (now they are family). I will always hold memories of this past week close to my heart. {{hugs}}

Beth

jalynn01 said...

I wonder how these things happen... feeling so close to people you've only met on a blog and then bam! they are there in person and you love them! I'm also feeling a little adrift sad and missing everyone! What a wonderful birding festival and what wonderful memories and what a big bunch of happy laughter we shared. So sweet to meet you Lynne and God Bless!! I couldn't wait for you to post..Going back to 'normal' life hasn't been easy.

denapple said...

Now we just need to decide on the next festival we can all attend! It's nice to relax with people who don't think you are crazy when you talk about Black-throated Green Warblers.

Carolyn H said...

Lynne: it sounds like a wonderful time. I'm glad you had such a great week.

Carolyn H.

Montanagirl said...

It does sound wonderful. So glad it was all you had hoped for.

Tommy said...

28 lifers - wow, congratulations!

Seems everyone had a great time! Mel and I would love to join you all at a future event :)

possumlady said...

So glad you had a wonderful time!! If anyone deserved some fun it was you!

NatureWoman said...

I'm glad to see a photo of the farm house and another blogger photo! How wonderful!

Anonymous said...

We clean up nicely, don't we?

And I love the way Laura looks so happy in this - just laughing with joy!

Mary said...

Linne,

I miss you too. This has been a sad week for me...

I'm back home and at work but my heart and mind is still in West Virginnie!

Hugs,
May

Linda in Erie said...

I can't wait to hear all your stories and see your photos. I'm going to also check out all these bloggers' blogs that you listed. They all sound like wonderful people.

Mary C said...

It's so great that everyone enjoyed themselves, especially you, Lynne. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences there.

Leedra said...

And you are back home and I do not have a new grandson yet! Can't plan anything around these births, they don't do what we expect them to. If I had gone he would have come. Glad you had a great time. Maybe, just maybe, next time.

Leedra’s Photos For FunLeedra’s Greeting CardsPhotography By Leedra

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Lynne--it was so nice to finally meet you, although, as you say, there's so much we learn about each other through the blogs, we're not too surprised by whom we find, face to face.
And, as I had expected, you're lovely.
--missing the farmhouse, too.

Mel said...

Hola Lynne,
I've been reading posts on the Festival, you all enjoyed it but sound so sad now :(
You should be happy, you are just BEGINNING an adventure with those wonderful people, with just a few time in between meetings ;)
Smile and remember!
Tommy and I will find a way to meet you guys some time soon.
Besos,
Mel

dguzman said...

I'm thinking Potholes and Prairies for next year's Flock migration!

You guys are all so cute and happy!

Kathi said...

Delia:

Two THUMBS UP for Potholes and Prairies. Gotta get me some Lifers and BT3 and Zick both do this trip. What do you say, Flock? North Dakota in June 2010?

~Kathi, who will start sleeping now, since she won't get to sleep during our next migration

Shelley said...

Sounds so wonderful Lynne!!! So heartwarming! Birder are the nicest people in my opinion....

Kathleen said...

Lynne, your smile is contagious and it was a joy to meet you!

I'm missing the walks in the rain. Go figure?

Julie Zickefoose said...

The blind date went exceedingly well! Lynne, I ate my Spam Lite yesterday morning, with eggs, and thought of you with every bite. It was so nice to meet you. I only wish I could have been in on some of the Farmhouse zaniness--can't believe I never managed to make it over there! xoxo jz

Heidi said...

I love seeing the pics of all the flock together :)

I'm sure glad you all survived and it looks like the leaders had fun with you too!

Kathie Brown said...

Lynne, I miss you too and everyone else. I wish there had been a little more "down" time so we could just hang out and go for walks together! I don't have this photo either. Can you send it to me?