Tuesday, April 05, 2011

The End of March at Hasty Brook

Our most recent visit to Hasty Brook was the last weekend of March. We arrived after dark but as always, I went upstairs and went out on the balcony to check the feeders and look about. The first thing I noticed was the sound. I could hear water. The creek was open and running! love that sound. The sound of the creek was the first thing that drew me to that land when we first visited. It was the same time of year when we drove up there with our directions, wondering what we would find in that 10 acres that we could barely afford. We had a list of properties to look at that day, but never looked at another after we saw Hasty Brook. It was the right place for us. It has always felt like the right place. I have a sense of belonging there, like it was waiting for me.

I am going to miss the Redpolls when they leave. This winter was the first that we've been able to go up for weekends and I've had a chance to fall for these little birds. I doubt they will still be there when we go back up in April.
I got to add a new mammal to our Hasty Brook yard list. I had left the balcony light on one evening while upstairs watching a movie when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. At first I thought it was a bird. It seemed to fly in, hop about, then fly off again. It had to be a flying squirrel so the next night I left the light on again and waited. Not long after dark it dropped onto the deck of the balcony. We watched as it hopped quickly up to a feeder on the railing. This time I was ready with my camera. I kept my movements to a minimum and took a few photos. after a bit I got up to turn off the light but the movement didn't seem to bother the flying squirrel so I stood at the window to watch some more. Only four feet away, the beautiful little squirrel was a marvel to watch.



The next morning brought another surprise- a pair of Wood Ducks on the creek. We've seen them up there every year but these were earlier than I expected. That water must be cold!


I'm not sure when we will get back up there as we have a visitor from Germany arriving tomorrow.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the nudges Richard!

Spring is coming and we miss you-

15 comments:

Mary said...

Hasty Brook is Heaven to you, Linne, and sort of an enchanted tale for me. I love that you love Hasty Brook. Don't forget about those rocking chairs for a special retreat we dream for...

Hugs,
Mare

Richard said...

Yeaaaa...a new long overdue post and even more beautiful pictures. I guess this means I don't have to butcher more nursery rhymes to get you to post..:-) But then again who knows. I think the "Where oh where has your little blog gone" will end up a classic some day.

Ruth Hiebert said...

This place must be a little taste of heaven on earth.I love the Redpolls,but have only three this winter.

Kathie Brown said...

So much fun at hasty Brook!I LOVE the flying squirrel! I haven't seen one of those since I lived in Maine 6 years ago! I am sorry that I did not get to see any redpolls this winter. I was so hoping! Enjoy your land. I know what it feels like to feel like you belong to a place. I just need to find my place now.

Hilke Breder said...

What wonderful photos, Lynne! The Redpolls are one of my favorite species, both the Common and the Hoarie in your recent post. The flying squirrel is terrific. I have never seen one, only in movies. Love to follow your blog and wonder why I haven't found it earlier.

Montanagirl said...

It looks like a wonderful place to be! Your photos are terrific. Thank you for sharing.

FAB said...

FABulous shots of the friendly Redpolls Lynne and of course the night-time visitor ... how cool is that.
Delighted to see you've come out of hibernation to share all the delights of Hasty Brook. Best wishes FAB.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos, Lynn. I see why you stopped looking after finding Hasty Brook.

troutbirder said...

Wonderful redpoll pics Lynne. Glad to see you back at it... ;)

cindyzlogic said...

Sweet, sweet Redpolls!!

Carol said...

Beautiful birds...but love that little flying squirrel...

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lynne, just stopped in from Montana Girl (Mona's blog) and your bird photos here are wonderful - so very crisp and colorful. I'll be back again. Thanks for sharing.

KaHolly said...

I have NEVER seen a flying squirrel! Great add to your yard list. Hasty Brook sounds like a little piece of heaven. ~karen

Louise said...

Your Hasty Brook is so beautiful, and a real haven for you. You take the most beautiful pictures, ones that draw you into your world. I could sit and stare at them for hours. I have to say, though, that I got overwhelmed by common redpolls this year, and I'm a little glad to see them go. Ten pounds of nyger seed every four days is a bit much.

wedding reception dresses said...

Nice post, thanks for sharing! They are lovable!
purple bridesmaid dresses