Saturday, September 17, 2011

Three Life Birds and Many New Friends

It's been just a whirlwind of an adventure here at The Midwest Birding Symposium in beautiful Lakeside, Ohio. Unfortunately, I am unable to post photos on my iPad so I will have to wait until I get home to my laptop. Ruthie and I went to a bird banding demonstration at the Black Swamp Bird Observatory this morning and were treated to great looks at Gray-cheeked Thrush, a female Black-throated Blue Warbler, Indigo Bunting and a pair of cranky Northern Cardinals. The naturalists there gave us terrific information about the banding process and about the birds they netted. After the banding Kim Kaufman invited us to go along on a Birds and Blooms bird walk on the boardwalk at the famous Magee Marsh. I cannot say enough about the generosity of both Kenn and Kim Kaufman. Ruthie and I had the best time! I got fabulous looks at three new life birds: the Gray-cheeked Thrush, the Yellow-billed Cuckoo and a Philadelphia Vireo. Those three birds brought my life bird total to 297! I sure am hoping that tomorrow I will be able to make it to 300!
This afternoon we listened to a presentation on attracting hummingbirds and butterflies by one of my favorite speakers Connie Toops. I have heard Connie speak twice before at the New River Birding and Nature Festival in Fayetteville, WV and knew this talk would be great. We've done quite a bit of shopping (no surprise there!) and I'll share photos of my cool purchases when I get home.
Tonight's keynote speakers will be a real treat. Julie Zickefoose will speak about her new book (I pre-ordered mine yesterday) called The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds With Common Birds. Following Julie we will hear one of my favorite people, Al Batt. Al is from Hartland, Minnesota. Al is a classic story teller and is also one of the kindest people I've met. Can't wait for tonight!

13 comments:

KGMom said...

Well, it's good I am home to read your blog and comment. Seems most everyone else is along with you.
;-)
Glad you are having a good time.

Kimberly Kaufman said...

Thanks for the kind words, Lynne! It was great to meet you and Ruth and I'm so happy you joined us for banding and for the walk with me and Kenn. If you're doing the Kelleys Island trip today, I hope you get your 300th bird!

Safe travels back home and I hope you'll try and come back to Ohio in the spring. I'm promise you'll have a good time and see LOTS of pretty warblers!

BIRDS RULE!

~kimmer

Kelly said...

Hi Lynne! I'm so glad I got to meet you! I had so much fun at the symposium. Hope you got the bird for #300. I'll have to check back and see.

Unknown said...

Fantastic to meet you! Dang...I missed that Gray-cheeked Thrush...one I was hoping to see. Did you get that life bird 300 yet? Happy birding!

Kathie Brown said...

Lynne, I am so glad to hear that you had such a great time and got to see so many new Life Birds! It sure would have been fun to go. It sounds like there were so many bloggers there! Can't wait to hear more and see all the photos.

Larry said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm a fan of Kenn kaufman's articles and books.

RuthieJ said...

Thanks for sharing this amazing trip with me Lynne! I had a blast!

troutbirder said...

What fun! I need to try one of these festivals sometime. At least I'm familiar with your Minnesota speaker and as a new subscriber to Birds and Bloom have read the Kaufman's articles. :)

KaHolly said...

What fun, Lynn!! I'm at 299 and get all excited when I try to imagine what #300 will be!!

KaHolly said...

And #300 is (drum roll, please) Sabine's Gull!! Yay!!

dguzman said...

Go, Lynne! It was so cool to hit 300 for me -- and wow, I hope it's something amazing like KaHolly's Sabine's Gull!

Cathy said...

Oh my gosh. You were so close, Lynne. I'm only 45 minutes away from that area. I spend many spring days there during migration.

if you're ever near, again. . . I'd so love to visit . . to get to know the sweet person that you are.

Things are looking sunnier here regarding hubby.

Whew. Too much self-prescribed aspirin. "The doctor that treats himself - has a fool for a patient."

Amen.

Big hug, my friend.

dmmgmfm said...

I can't wait to see you newest pictures.