Friday, July 06, 2007

I Met a Blogger Today

I got an email last night that made me squeal! Deb from Sand Creek Almanac was going to be in my neighborhood this morning and she invited me to meet for coffee. Deb's blog is one of the first that I ever commented on when I started a year ago. She's a fellow Minnesotan and she lives "up north" not too far from Hasty Brook. Through blogging and commenting on each other's blogs we found we had a bit in common. She grew up not far from where I live now, and when my folks retired they lived not far from where she lives now. I was thrilled when Deb invited me to join her on a birding trip on Lake Superior this spring. I was so looking foreward to meeting her (and doing some birding!) but sadly the trip was cancelled at the last minute. I met Deb this morning at a local Caribou and we chatted for an hour and a half. We talked about birds, blogging, kids, jobs, families and more. It was like meeting an old friend! I'll admit to being a little anxious beforehand but it disappeared in a blink because I felt instantly like I'd connected with a real friend. Even though we bloggers don't share all of the details of our every day lives, I think we do reveal enough about ourselves to show the kind of people we are. Deb is so genuine, smart, funny and very kind. She works hard to have the life she believes in and I admire her greatly. Thanks for the invite Deb. Next time lets do some birding too!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

How nice! If you're ever in northern New Jersey...

Jayne said...

Dang, I wish I lived closer to Minnesota! So lovely that you all got to meet. Any time you take a turn south and are in Georgia... :c)

Deb said...

Awww, thanks Lynne! I was joking to The Hermit (you know his real name now!) about how instead of meeting my sister in law in Edina for coffee, I chose to meet a total stranger! This was a lot more fun and you're no stranger anymore! :)

Cathy said...

Ditto the above comments! If you're ever near Toldeo. I know, I know - why would you come to Toldeo? But HEY! Magee Marsh in the spring is 'The Place To Be'. Ask Kenn Kaufman :-)
So glad you and Deb got to hook up. You both are neat neat gals.

dmmgmfm said...

How nice that you were able to meet in the real world. It's great when you can connect like that.

Larry said...

Glad you had a good time.-It was a bit suspensful to see when and what you were going to say since Deb posted first.

Mary said...

Awww. I've never met a blogger and often think it would be fabulous! You and Deb are lucky. I hope to meet many in person one day...

RuthieJ said...

So Lynne, does Deb drink her coffee black too??

We have Caribou Coffee here in Rochester too! Be sure to let me know if you're going to be in the area and I'll also let you know when my next trip north to The Cities is!

Susan Gets Native said...

Well, well. Met a fellow blogger.
Cool!
Not to diminish your meeting with Deb...
but imagine the freakin' hilarity that will ensue in October? I have tried to picture it in my mind...
"Hey! It's Lynne! Oh! Pam's here! There's Laura! Hey, Maaaarrryyyyy!"
(And whomever else we can talk into coming along)
: )
Do you think we will even see any birds? Will we be able to shut up long enough?

NatureWoman said...

Cooooool beans Lynne!!! I think it's so cool to meet your blogging friends! It will be nice to meet you, too!

KGMom said...

I am fascinated with the way blogging creates community the way any conversation would.
We become friends--then want to meet.
Why not?
Glad you had such a good meet-up.

LauraHinNJ said...

Small world, huh?

Happy for you!

Anonymous said...

It is always fun meeting fellow bloggers! Glad the meet went great!