Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Family Time


Our trips to Hasty Brook have given us a great opportunity for family time. That's not to say that we don't bring along the kids' iPod, GameBoy, and other electronic do-dads, but they get tucked away when we're outside. This day trip last winter is one example. Winter is the best to see the contour of the land. The snow wasn't too deep this day and we did lot's of hiking. We walked along the edge of the curving creek looking for the best/ narrowest place to cross.

There was only one spot upstream of the old beaver dam that we found ice sturdy enough to cross. Actually, only Art crossed. The ice was VERY soft and I was quite nervous, but Art wanted to measure the distance across because he would one day like to make a bridge. The area where we camp is surrounded on three sides by the creek and we would like to be able to explore the other side a bit.

When he was ready to cross back, Art took a running start. The kids roared as he slid across the ice and then planted in the snow on the near side. Even Gidget (the dog) laughed!


I think we talk more when we're up there. That's always a good thing. On this early spring day the fire felt pretty good. What is it about a fire? Conversation flows, but silences are OK too. I love the atmosphere around a fire.


Here's John. John is twelve and is the funniest boy I know. He is very thoughtful and kind-hearted. OK, no more Mom adjectives!
. I love this picture- a boy, a pocketknife, and a stick.


Here is my Molly. I love this photo as it captures her exuberance. Molly is thirteen and full of life and possibilites. I have been blessed with a wonderful family and I believe we are very fortunate to have a place like Hasty- a place to feel part of the woods, and a place to know each other better.

4 comments:

NatureWoman said...

Hi Lynne,
I love your photos! Your land and your family look and sound wonderful. Very nice!

LauraHinNJ said...

Hasty Brook looks like a great place to be together. Your family looks very *at home* in those woods - nice to see. And I imagine it must be nice to have such a place there, waiting for you to explore at all seasons of the year.

We did a lot of camping when I was a kid - none in wilderness - but just out in the woods somewhere with a campfire and a screen tent. Great memories!

Beth said...

Nice to see photos of snow in mid-August...thanks for the winter chill! Looks like a lovely place and a lovely family. You are blessed, indeed!

Anonymous said...

eww take that picture of me off chiglet