Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Break on Through to the Other Side

We found what we think is an old logging road on the east side of Hasty Brook. You can't really see the wheel ruts but we could feel them walking. The young aspen growth is thick on both sides of the road. I did find a stand of 4-5 huge, old aspen that the loggers left behind. We can see the tops of these tall trees from our campsite. In the top of one is a red-tailed hawk nest. John couldn't reach his arms around this tree. We walked quite a while along this road as the snow fell.
I didn't want to leave.
I wanted to stay and look and listen.
I want to be here in winter when the woods are quiet and blanketed in white.
I want to be here in the spring when the earth warms and life awakens.
I want to be here in summer when life sings and there are too many greens to count.
But I know this place is here, waiting for me.
And that makes me smile.



9 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

I really like that last pic of the tree trunks.

Sounds like a wonderful place that you can keep with you while you're away.

How long of a drive is it for you?

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Thanks Laura-
Hasty is 150 miles north of the Twin Cities. The drive is mostly freeway and takes about 2 1/2 hours.

Jayne said...

What very lovely images Lynne. So glad it's become such a touchpoint place for you to just "be."

MojoMan said...

Many of us dream of having such a place to visit and carry in our hearts. You are very lucky to have actually pulled it off.

NatureWoman said...

It looks like a wonderful place to live - and you will! I need to stop by when you're up there sometime to do your cardinal vest fitting :) Need to make sure it fits correctly!

Anonymous said...

I love finding evidence of the past in the forest and speculating on what might have been going on.

Anonymous said...

Nice that there are some older trees there too. I'm sure you'll make many discoveries in the coming months. Too bad the beavers aren't there - but otters are pretty cool too! And lucky to have such good folks as stewards of the land there.

Unknown said...

Looks like a wonderful place. I too love the silence of a snow covered forest. I miss those days, but I am lucky to have parents still in the Cloquet area, so I can go back now and then. You must be close to the same area.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Jayne-It really is an important place for me.

mojoman-I agree. I know that I am ery, very lucky.

Pam- Come on over! Do you sell your sewing creations?

Pablo- The road really made my immagination run. We found an old piece of logging chain too.

LauraO- The otters were so cool to watch. I hope they are still around!

prairie chick- We are west of Cloquet, and a bit north of Cromwell. I look foreward to making some day trips up there this winter!