Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Red-bellied Woodpecker


Sunday was alot of good things. The Vikings beat Detroit in a painfully exciting game at the Dome. Can you say Ba-OOOO!!! There were penalties and turn-overs and odd plays that kept me jumping in my seat!

This beautiful Red-bellied Woodpecker came through the back yard checking out the suet. I had just put fresh suet out in all three feeders so I hope he comes back. What a gorgeous bird!

I got a new camera for my birthday. It's a Nikon Coolpix S10- so cool! The monitor pivots away from the lens, so I can take pictures at odd angles and around corners. Super stealth! Lot's of time on Sunday to play around with it.

I didn't have to work. (healthcare is open 24-7 and sometimes I hate that)

Sunday was Lynne-designated Lynne day- no cooking, no cleaning, no running any where!


Sigh... Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Rondeau Ric said...

It seems Detroit always finds a way to lose.

Get out there and use that camera.

Susan Gets Native said...

I love red-bellieds, too! I only see them this time of year, when the bugs are starting to go to sleep and the birds start thinking that suet may be tasty. I watched one glean in the trees at a park I go to nearby...and a belted kingfisher behind it, catching fish in the river. It was NICE.
And I'm glad you designated a mental health day.

Lené Gary said...

Happy Birthday! What a gorgeous looking woodpecker. I've never seen one of those (still working on those birding skills--the bigger, the better).

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Ric-

I've got lots to learn about photography. One thing nice about digital- I can take tons of pics and maybe learn better by all of the (many) flops!

Susan-

The only kingfishers I saw this year were fly-overs. Lucky you got to see one fishing!

Lene-

Thanks for the Happy! I love red-bellieds. Their faces are sweeter than other woodpeckers.

Jayne said...

Cool, cool pic Lynne! I love the woodpeckers too. What a lovely birthday gift. Have fun and keep on shooting such great images.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Thanks Jayne! :)

NatureWoman said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a cool camera! I love the photo!

LauraHinNJ said...

Oh Happy day - sorry I'm late!

The new camera will be so much fun to play with - and no expensive film - great way to learn.

Red bellies are fun, but I don't see enough of them - hear them all the time - but they don;t seem comfortable with the feeder I'm using right now. ;-(

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday. Great photo of the red-bellied..they are not easy to photograph because they seldom stay out in the open like that. Great shot. Have fun experimenting with the camera!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes! :) Smiles for you all! :)