Friday, October 13, 2006

Feeding Frenzy

Brisk winds and temperatures in the upper 20's sparked a feeding frenzy in the back yard. These goldfinches were bickering over thistle rights, while others were in a holding pattern in the lilacs waiting for an open spot.
This downy chased off a hairy to get a this suet feeder. Cheeky little bugger!
Earlier this summer Claudia Cardinale would never have allowed these house finches so close while eating.

The white-throated sparrows have been around for about two weeks now. I look foreward to their arrival, scratching around the yard. This one was enjoying a sun-dried tomato (fell off the vine and dried on the patio!). I've noticed that their "Poor Sam Peabody" song sounds very puny and watery this fall. Is it the season? Any ideas?

The high temps are supposed to move back into the 50's this weekend. We need alot more fall weather before the big white cold comes. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

NatureWoman said...

Your bird photos are beautiful! Please send some warm weather my way - I am so not ready for this snow!

LauraHinNJ said...

So now I know where all my feeder birds have gone. ;-)

Great pics!

Lené Gary said...

First snowflake? You're ahead of us. I miss the call ofthe white-throated sparrows. I hear them regularly through the summer here, but I haven't heard any lately.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

naturewoman- The last few days have been a bit warmer, but we're expecting highs only in the mid 30's by Wednesday.

Laura- My feeders are PACKED! Fox sparrows moved in yesterday.

Lene- We never here white-throated sparrows here in summer, only spring and fall.

Rondeau Ric said...

It is NOT Poor Sam Peabody! It's Oh, Canada, Canada, Canada.

At our feeders Downies chase Hairys, Red headed chase Downies, and the Red belly chases everyone.

Our sparrows showed up last week along with the juncos.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Ric-
I stand corrected! :)